Types of Disabilities and Reasons for Employing Persons with Disabilities
Types of disabilities
Types of disabilities include
- attention deficit /
- autism spectrum disorder
- hearing impairment
- intellectual disability
- mental illness
- physical disability
- specific learning difficulties
- speech impairment
- visceral disability /
- visual impairment
The company’s top-down support for employing persons with disabilities is one of the critical factors for creating a truly inclusive working environment. The employer’s commitment to achieving diversity and inclusion can facilitate the effective integration of persons with disabilities into the workplace and the encouragement from the management can help allay the feelings of revulsion and fear among the frontline staff.
When employment persons with disabilities, the employers should set clear goals, such as fulfilling social responsibility, developing a diverse and inclusive workplace, enlarging their pool of talents or filling the manpower gap in the trade, etc. The employer should also confirm the importance of diversity and inclusion in the company’s philosophy through employing more persons with disabilities. The philosophy has to be translated down through concrete actions by the human resources department with clear explanation to all employees.
Employers hesitation to offer jobs to persons with disabilities may be due to their concern about the unknown. In fact,there are many ways for employers to learn more about the working abilities of persons with disabilities.
- To obtain information about persons with disabilities and the types of disabilities
Publication for Employers:
- Good practices of the Inclusive Organisations produced by the Talent-Wise Employment Charter and Inclusive Organisations Recognition Scheme
- Success stories produced by the Selective Placement Division of the Labour Department
- "Talent-wise Employment Television Series" produced by the Labour and Welfare Bureau and Radio Television Hong Kong
- To participate in the promotional and publicity activities on awareness about persons with disabilities
- To get in touch with government organisations and non-governmental organisations (NGOs) which provide vocational rehabilitation services or job-matching employment assistance for persons with disabilities
Government and related organisations：
- Selective Placement Division of the Labour Department
- Shine Skills Centre of the Vocational Training Council Group
- Employees Retraining Board
NGOs which provide vocational rehabilitation services:
"Scan QR Code" in WeChat and tap "..." to share.